A beef stew that is packed with sweet and spicy flavours. An ideal comfort food that is rich and so simple to make.
- 1tbsp jerk seasoning
- 400g diced beef
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped into strips
- 1 fresh chilli, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 200ml water
- In a bowl, put the diced beef, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the jerk seasoning. Mix well, cover and leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan along with the shallot and garlic and fry on a medium heat until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the carrot and chilli and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the cinnamon and allspice and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown off the outside for about 4-6 minutes.
- In the bowl the beef was marinating in add the soy sauce and the sugar and give it a good mix; get any remaining jerk seasoning hanging around in there.
- Pour the soy mixture into the pan along with the water and give it a stir.
- Cover the pan and leaving it on a low heat to simmer for 50 minutes- 1 hour.
Best served hot and with basmati rice.