Pearl Barley, a versatile delicous grain that can be used in a multitude of ways: soups, stews and salads. It can be the ingredient that almost ‘pads out’ your meal or can be the showcase; either way, it’s a win win situation. With this particular recipe, I love how the chicken remains so moist and juicy, absorbing the lemon and all those delicious seasonings.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g pearl barley, rinsed
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion granules
- In a pan, fry the garlic and celery in the oil for 2-3 minutes.
- On medium heat, add the chicken, lemon, onion granules, oregano and season with salt and pepper; cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the barley and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, add the peas, mix and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover and leave to simmer on low for 40 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until the barley has softened but still has a bite to it.