Well hello August! Definitely a month that has come by way too quick, good ol’ corona. Every year in August, at the bank holiday weekend we have a celebration in London called Notting Hill Carnival- woop woop!
Unfortunately, due to the pandemic the carnival won’t be going ahead in its traditional manner. So, I have created carnival-inspired recipes for you to try at home for the month of August- let’s keep that carnival spirit going!
So kick it all off, here’s the first one: Plantain Chips and Dips! I know that a lot of us like a cheeky beverage and something to nibble on so I thought this is suitable for the party-snack vibes. All really easy to make and can be enjoyed all year round and are good accompaniments to other dishes. Also, if you don’t have any plantain these dips are brilliant with crisps, tortilla chips and bread.
- 2 green plantains
- Vegetable Oil
- On a chopping board remove the plantain skin and cut into thin slices.
- In a frying pan add a generous serving of vegetable oil so that the plantain is completely covered when cooking.
- Fry on a medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes (or until golden brown) stirring the plantains occasionally.
- Once taken off the heat leave on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil (before transferring to serving dish) and season with a pinch of salt.
Black Bean Dip
- I can (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove of fresh garlic
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 3tbsp water
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2tsp dried coriander
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- 1tbsp fresh lime juice
- In a blender, mix the onion, garlic and water until combined.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend into a smooth paste.
- Serve in a bowl with some plantain chips.
Broad Bean Dip
- 1 can (300g) of broad beans, drained and rinsed
- 3tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 sprig (6 small leaves) of mint
- 1tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- In a blender, add the broad beans, yogurt, mint, oil, salt and pepper and blend into a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy.
Harissa Dipping Sauce
- 1tsp harissa paste
- 3tbsp natural yogurt
- Squeeze of lime juice
- In a bowl, mix the harissa, yogurt, lime and a season with salt.
For more recipes visit www.isaporidelmondo.wordpress.com or follow Carla on Instagram @isaporidelmondo