That’s right guys, you read correctly bortlotti bean curry, tasty, full of flavour and a little summin different to indulge in during the week or at the weekend.
- 1 can (400g) borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large vine tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp onion granules
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 ground cumin
- 120ml water
- Natural yogurt (optional)
- On medium heat start by heating the beans and the bay leaves for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the oil, garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato, all the seasonings including the salt and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Put in the puree and fry for a minute, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the water and leave to simmer for 8-10 minutes and then serve.
Optional: upon serving add a spoonful of natural yogurt for added creaminess and to balance the spiciness.
Best served hot with some rice and poppadoms 🙂