I know I have previously mentioned Foul Muddammas or Fava Beans as more commonly known here in the UK. A fantastically versatile legume that can stand up in its own right or can be added to anything if you fancy a hit of protein or fibre. This dish keeps the beans the star of the show with the shallots and chilli adding a satisfying warmness.
- 1 can fava beans (foul mudamas, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 dsp lemon juice
- 1 large on the vine tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 handful parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml water
- In a pan on medium-high heat add the beans and the water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the cumin, stir, leave for a minute and then switch off the heat.
- Then add the shallot, garlic and chilli, mix and leave for 2 minutes.
- Upon serving add the tomato, parsley and drizzle over the lemon and olive oil.