Aubergine has been a constant in the kitchen, even as a child I grew up eating aubergine weekly. It’s such a beautiful and delicious vegetable that should be praised and given the credit it deserves. Though it has constantly been a winner in my family recipes I wanted to mix it up with these sweet and spicy flavours that really brings out the deliciousness of the aubergine.
- 1 aubergine, halved and sliced into batons
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 birdseye chilli, finely chopped
- Sesame seeds, for serving
- In a pan, fry the aubergine in two tablespoons of sesame oil on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until softened and browned.
- While the aubergine is frying, take a small bowl and mix the garlic, chilli, syrup and oil together thoroughly.
- Pour the sweet and spicy mixture over the aubergine and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Delicious as a side dish or with some slow cooked meat.