This is one of those flavour combinations that is an absolute winner. The allspice and cloves give a deep, rich and almost smokey flavour; the sweet and sharp apple gives your tastebuds something to savour. The garlic in the gravy adds that little kick at the end of each mouthful and will leave people fighting over the dinner table for the last drop. Whether served with roast potatoes, a simple salad or even with some bread to mop up the juices, this simple dinner will remain a firm favourite.
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and finely sliced
- 2 small shallots, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 150ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan.
- In a bowl, mix the allspice, golden syrup and the olive oil together. Add the chicken legs and coat the meat in the marinade; then leave to one side.
- In a baking tray, place on the stove and fry the garlic, shallot and cloves together until translucent.
- Evenly distribute the apple slices, making a bed at the bottom of the baking tray.
- Place the chicken on top of the apple and take any excess marinade from the bowl and spread over the meat.
- Pour in the stock around the meat and place the baking tray in the oven. Leave to bake for 40-45 minutes (basting the meat every 20 minutes) or until chicken runs clean and not pink.