I love mixing things up in the kitchen and getting all experimental. It’s the best form of cooking and just makes the ‘eating’ part even more enjoyable when the recipe works to perfection. I haven’t used much black rice in my recipes before so I thoroughly enjoyed incorporating this delicious ingredient, I hope you all enjoy it too!
- 100g red split lentils
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 can (400g) coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g black rice
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Start by frying the garlic and shallot together in the oil until translucent.
- Add the tomato purée and fry for a minute.
- Sprinkle over all of the seasonings and add the lentils and keep frying for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the rice and pour in the coconut milk and vegetable stock; mix thoroughly.
- Cover and drop the heat to medium low and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Be aware to stir occasionally as the lentils will stick to the pan.
- Just before serving drizzle over the lime juice and mix.