I absolutely love mushrooms in all its shapes and forms, its delicious umami flavours that are meaty bring a delightful contrast to the sweetness that is the sauce. Just as tasty on its own or as a side dish to some roasted lamb or vegetables.
- 300g closed cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 400ml coconut milk
- Crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp Lyle’s golden syrup
- 1/4 tsp lime juice
- On medium heat fry the mushrooms in the sesame oil for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, golden syrup and a generous amount of crushed black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and mix well.
- Leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes, the sauce will have reduced and thickened.
- Drizzle over the lime juice, mix again and serve.