Fancy some fruit for dinner? Believe me guys, do not knock it until you’ve tried it. A perfect substitute if you’re craving meaty flavours and textures then this is definitely the recipe to go to!
- 1 can jackfruit (in water), remove the fruit from the jar and roughly chop. Keep the water in the can.
- 400g chickpeas, drained
- 1 dsp tomato puree
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion granules
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 50ml water
- In a pan, start by frying the ginger, garlic and oil together on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit, chickpeas and all the seasonings, except for the salt. Mix thoroughly and cook together for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the water from the jackfruit can and 50ml of water, stir, cover and leave to cook for 30 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so and around half way through cooking season with salt. (If becomes too dry add a splash of water, though consistency shouldn’t be too saucy.)
Best served hot.