Tired from a long day at work and want a quick but delicious dish that’s healthy and meat-free? This tomato and aubergine stew brings juiciness and crunchiness together with a special cameo of our tinned friends, chickpeas. I’ve kept this version a little less spicy but if you fancy more of a kick, add more harissa paste.
- 1 medium sized aubergine, chopped into chunks
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of lemon juice
- In a pan, pour in the olive oil and add the aubergine and fry for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, on a medium heat until the vegetable has browned and lightly softened.
- Add the shallot and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, dried coriander and a sprinkling of salt and pepper; give it a quick stir.
- Put in the chickpeas, harissa and tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and pour the water into the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Squeeze in a splash of lemon and season again with salt. Leave to cook for a further 5 minutes or until the water has reduced.
Best served hot.